Have you been wondering how to hike to Grimes Canyon? I first spotted it when browsing around on Instagram. It is such a unique spot and makes such a great photo, I knew I wanted to hunt it down. When I realized it was just outside of Los Angeles and only a 10-minute hike, I was sold! So now I’ve put together this post so you can hike to Grimes Canyon, too! Enjoy. 🙂
A Guide to Hiking Grimes Canyon
How to Get to Grimes Canyon
8884 Grimes Canyon Road
Moorpark, CA 93021
Grimes Canyon is located in Ventura County, about an hour’s drive from downtown Los Angeles (without traffic of course). You will wind your way along Grimes Canyon Road until you come to 8884 Grimes Canyon Road.
From here you’ll see an area where you can pull off beside the road and park. If you are worried about getting a ticket, don’t be. An officer actually did stop and ask me what I was doing. I simply explained I wanted to hike to the top of the hill for a photo. He made a joke about how hot it was that day, and then went on about his way. 🙂
Tips for the Hiking Grimes Canyon
- The hike is very short, and shouldn’t take you more than 10 minutes to get to the top.
- It is quite steep. You’ll see a pathway where others have started the hike, however as you continue the path becomes less clear. Basically just keep going up until you can see the curve of the road.
- Wear long pants because the brush will scratch you, and there are little cacti that you may bump into.
- I’d also recommend wearing shoes you’re okay with getting dirty because the ground is sandy and not very firm. When I finished I had a shoeful of sand and dirt to dump out.
And that’s it! Pick a spot at the top to take your photos, and then carefully make your way back down.
Going to California? Check out these popular posts:
- How to Hike Behind the Hollywood Sign via Brush Canyon Trail
- The Ultimate Guide to Venice Beach
- The Ultimate Guide to the Venice Beach Boardwalk
- 20 Things to Tick Off Your San Diego Bucket List
- San Diego’s Most Instagram-Worthy Spots
- How to Spend 48 Hours in San Francisco
- The Ultimate Guide to Temecula Valley Wineries
Like this post? Pin it for later!
Have you hiked or photographed Grimes Canyon? Love to know in the comments below!