The Hoi An tailors are some of the best tailors in the world! Is that kinda shocking?
What do you think of when you think of the clothing capital of the world? Maybe Italy, Paris, Hong Kong?
Well, let me fill you in on this gem of a secret. Getting an outfit tailor-made in Hoi An is one of the most popular things to do in Vietnam. And for good reason.
The tailors of Hoi An are well-known around the world! You can get anything made, from leather bags, shoes, dresses, suits, and even custom-made wedding dresses. The Hoi An tailors can do it all.
The best part? The price for the quality is incomparable to anything you would find anywhere else. 🙂
Buying Tailored Clothes in Hoi An: The Ultimate Guide
Hoi An Tailors
The ancient town of Hoi An has some of the most well-known tailors around the world. Because of Hoi An’s past as a trading route for silk, many Hoi An families have been practicing their trade for generations. These Hoi An families have now created very popular tailor shops and are considered master craftsman in their field.
I was amazed by the Hoi An tailor’s attention to detail. If you show them a picture of a dress or a suite, they could whip up an almost exact replica within 24-48 hours.
However, you can’t trust every shop you stumble upon. The best Hoi An tailor shops are well-known, however many other tailor shops have popped up that aren’t as skilled or reputable. You may find that some use lower quality fabric and their workers might remind you of a classic Asian sweatshop. In order to avoid this, it’s best to choose your Hoi An tailor wisely.
The Best Hoi An Tailors
I am honestly very hesitant to write about the best Hoi An tailors because there are a lot of lesser-known tailor shops that are just as reputable but don’t have the same online presence. As you’ll find at the end of this post, I chose to use one of the “best Hoi An tailors” from this list, and then also chose another tailor shop I just happened to stumble upon. In both circumstances I left a very happy customer.
So basically, please read this list with an open mind. 🙂
- Yaly Couture – Yaly’s is probably the most popular name if you ask for a good tailor in Hoi An. They have just about every fabric you could want, along with buttons, ruffles, beadwork, etc. You’ll also find they are the most expensive tailor shop in town.
- A Dong Silk – A Dong Silk is also very well-known and very reputable. They’re known for having excellent customer service and being very knowledgeable about different fabrics.
- Thu Thuy – This tailor shop is named after it’s owner Madame Thu Thuy. It is a great tailor shop for tourists and even has a coffee bar with internet access closeby.
For more shops and recommendations, check out this TripAdvisor list of the best tailor shops in Hoi An with up to date reviews.
How to Choose the Best Hoi An Tailor
If you decide to go with a tailor shop other then the ones mentioned above, here are some tips to help you choose a great Hoi An tailor. Just like with any service, the quality and overall experience varies widely depending on the shop. Hoi An has over 200 tailor shops, so choosing one can be a difficult choice.
So how do you decide? Here some tips for choosing a great tailor shop and ensuring you receive what you are looking for.
- Trust No One – It is important to be wary of tailor shop recommendations, even recommendations from your hotel. A common tourist trap in Hoi An (and throughout Southeast Asia) is that almost everyone earns a commission from referring tourists to tailor shops. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone. From your taxi driver, your receptionist, or even a “friendly” local chatting you up on the street. You better believe that they’re getting a commission off where they recommend you to go.
- Read Reviews – The truth is, even if your hotel recommends a specific tailor shop, it might not be a bad option. I would just highly advise before purchasing ANYTHING, to read reviews online. I found TripAdvisor to be a great and reliable source.
- Quality of Fabric – Before agreeing to go with a tailor shop, physically see and feel the quality of fabric they have available. This should be very easy to do because it should be out on display. If you don’t find what you’re looking for out on display, ask! When I was looking for something specific, I asked and sometimes they had exactly what I wanted in the back.
- Not Just the Fabric – However, this piece of advice goes beyond fabric. You can even ask to what buttons, liners, leather options, etc are available. It would be a shame to pass up on a great shop, just because you didn’t see everything you were wanting out on display.
- Come Prepared – It makes it easier on yourself and the tailor if you already come with an idea of what you want. I found it best when I provided a photo of what I was wanting and then we collaborated on the details. Some things can get lost in translation so photos and clear communication is key.
- Check Out the Mannequins and Catalogues – For inspiration most shops will have mannequins featuring drool-worthy ensembles and magazine catalogues to flip through.The options are limitless when it comes to having something custom-made. You can get exactly what you want with it fitting your figure perfectly!
Read More: Why Hoi An is the Hidden Jewel of Hoi An
Buying Tailored Clothes in Hoi An: What to Expect
The beauty of the Hoi An tailors are their speed and quality! If you only have a few days to spend here, don’t fret; you can get any piece of clothing tailor-made within 24-48 hours.
Once you choose your shop, you will show the tailors what you are wanting, and you will work together in picking out the details of the outfit.
This is the fun part!
You can choose the main fabric, the fabric liners, the buttons, the length of the skirt, where the pockets go, and the list goes on and on – the options are truly limit-less.
Once this is decided, the tailor will take your measurements, and presto, the first part is done!
They will have you come back in within 24 hours (sometimes sooner!) for your fitting. If you like the fit and look, you’re done! If not, they will work with you until you are completely happy with your purchase. Because of their speed, the whole process can be complete within 48 hours.
Which Hoi An Tailor I Chose
After looking at a number of tailor shops and reading reviews, I decided to go with the extremely popular and reputable Yaly Couture.
Two suits later, I was very pleased with the entire process and loved my purchases. If you do decide to go with Yaly’s, it can be quite busy at the main location featured below.
Location 1 – Main Location Google Maps
358 Nguyễn Duy Hiệu, Sơn Phong, Tp. Hội An, Quảng Nam, Vietnam
Phone: +84 510 3914 995
Hours: Open everyday from 8AM to 9:30PM
Rest assured, there is a second location. Just a mere 10 minute walk away (featured below) this location may have a shorter wait.
Location 2 – Second Location – Google Maps
47 Trần Phú, Minh An, Hoi An City, Quảng Nam, Vietnam
After making my first purchase with Yaly’s, I later made an impulse decision to also buy a customized leather jacket. For this purchase I decided to go with a different shop that had the exact color and texture of leather that I was looking for.
Unfortunately I do not remember the name of the shop I chose, but it did not have nearly the same online presence as Yaly’s. I showed the tailors photos of exactly what I was looking for and we worked together to discuss the design, look, and fit. It was perfect and I walked away loving my new jacket!
Whether you decide to go with a tailor shop who has raving online reviews, or just stumble upon a great find, you never know, you might just have found a diamond in the rough. 🙂 I hope you enjoy your visit to Hoi An and you are able to find exactly what you are looking for from the Hoi An tailors.
Read more: Why Hoi An is the Hidden Jewel of Vietnam
Like this post? Pin it for later!
Have you had experience with Hoi An tailors? Love to know your thoughts below!