I have been the person that had to leave a meeting during work and just stand in the stairway taking deep breaths until my heart rate slowed down.
I’ve read all the Cosmopolitan self-help recommendations from bubble baths to spa treatments to regular exercise and I have to say, nothing can be compared to simply reading the Word of God and truly believing the words that are on that page.
Life is hard and learning how to manage your worry and anxiety is crucial to maintaining mental, physical, and spiritual health.
That is why I put together this list of 20 Bible verses about anxiety. I hope it calms your heart when you are under attack and gives you rest and comfort.
What Does God Say About Anxiety
What does God say about anxiety? For the longest time I thought the world of stress, worry, and anxiety was something God was completely oblivious to.
Boy was I wrong!
The truth is, God is very in touch with our feelings and emotions and knows exactly what we are going through. God cares deeply for us and when we cry out to Him, He meets us in those deep, dark places that we try and hide from friends and family.
But you don’t have to hide from God! Instead call upon Him when our heart is weary.
Psalm 61:2 says:
“From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”
Psalm 61:2 (NIV)
There are so many times I have felt completely defeated and all I could say is, “Lord, I can’t handle this. I feel weak and I want to give up. But where I am weak you are strong, so lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”
God is no stranger to stress, worry, and anxiety, and He wants to help you. In fact, anxiety is everywhere in the Bible.
Anxiety in the Bible
Is there anxiety in the Bible? OHMYGOSHHH yes, my friend, there is.
The thing is, you won’t read Moses saying, “I had so much anxiety today as I was leading the Israelites around in the wilderness for almost 40 years…etc.”
But you can grasp from the context of the stories that the people written about in the Bible experienced massive stress, worry, and anxiety just like you and me. However, the actual word “anxiety” might not be directly used or said, but trust me, it’s in there.
Actually, almost all of the stories in the Bible have an element of people feeling like they were weak and couldn’t do something, but with God they were able to overcome whatever situation faced them.
- In 1 Samuel 1, Hannah was so distressed that she couldn’t conceive children that she constantly wept and refused to eat.
- In Psalm 6, the future King David cries out to the Lord in his stress and turmoil after running for his life from King Saul.
- In Luke 22:44, even Jesus had so much anguish about what He was going to do on the cross that He sweat drops of blood.
The overwhelming circumstances of life cause anxiety, but that is why we must have faith in God and trust in Him through every storm.
20 Bible Verses to Help with Anxiety
At last, here are some of my favorite Bible verses to help with anxiety! I’ve created printable versions of this list for you so you can print them out and put them where you can see them every day.
I want to encourage you to get creative with this! Tape them to your notebook, journal, bathroom mirror, nightstand, you name it! I especially find these verses to be great for when I first wake up and before I go to bed.
1. Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (NIV)
2. Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you.” (NIV)
3. John 14:1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.” (NIV)
4. Matthew 6:34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” (ESV)
5. John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (NIV)
6. 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.” (NIV)
7. 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” (NLT)
8. Psalm 94:19 “When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.” (NIV)
9. Psalm 55:22 “Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken.” (NIV)
10. Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” (NIV)
11. Matthew 28:20 “I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (ESV)
12. Psalm 61:2 “From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” (NIV)
13. Isaiah 43:2-5 “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” (NIV)
14. Matthew 8:25-26 “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then He rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.” (ESV)
15. Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (ESV)
16. Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will hold you with my righteous right hand.” (ESV)
17. Proverbs 3:5 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.” (NIV)
18. Proverbs 12:25 “Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.” (ESV)
19. Matthew 6:27 “And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?” (ESV)
20. Psalm 62:8 “Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” (NIV)
More Books and Devotionals for Anxiety
These Bible verses about anxiety are a good start, but there are of course so many more books and devotionals for anxiety that can help you find peace amidst the storms of life. Below are a few I recommend:
- Grace Is Enough: A 30-Day Christian Devotional to Help Women Turn Anxiety and Insecurity into Confidence by Courtney Fidell
- Letting Go of Anxiety: A devotional study on how the Bible teaches us to cast our cares on the Lord by Alison Perkins
- Battlefield of the Mind Devotional: 100 Insights That Will Change the Way You Think by Joyce Meyer
Trying to Find a New Bible But Are Overwhelmed With All the Options?
In this blog post I break down the 10 Most Accurate Bible Translations so you can find the best Bible translation for you!
For me I love study Bibles and have been using this study Bible for years! I use it for my every day Bible reading because it’s easy to read while also being true to the original text.
I hope my list of Bible verses about anxiety help you! I’ve created printable versions of this list for you so you can print them out and put them somewhere where you can see them every day. I definitely recommend this! Remember, the Word of God is our sword, so let’s use it!
Bible Summary: An Overview of the Whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation
What Does It Mean to Be Fearfully & Wonderfully Made?
Like this Post? Pin it for later!
Which Bible verse about anxiety is your favorite? Would love to know in the comments below!